Sunday, September 25, 2011

Geese.

A goal without a plan, is just a wish.

I had a rough night last night; I was thinking too much about what I can't solve. It was frustrating. RenĂ© suggested I get a good nights rest, go to church tomorrow and just try to relax. So I did. 
I got there a few minutes late like usual, made my coffee in the foyer and headed to sing with my daughter. 
I sat with friends and thought, maybe I'll get something out of today...maybe I won't. My pastor is pretty cool. Shes like me, but fast forward a few years. Shes a wife, and a mother and I know she tries her best to be a good person.
She was talking to us about our gifts, and how everyone has one. We might not be able to do everything, but if we can contribute something then we are contributing to the bigger picture. I like this, because I know I can't do it all...but I can do something.
We are learning about how to work effectively in our communities. Church community, work community, family community, really any place you spend time in your life. 
She brought up geese and told us how amazing they are. Ill tell you what she told me, and maybe you knew this...maybe you didn't. All in all geese are pretty awesome. She told us they fly in V formation because the lead goose will take most of the hit from the wind to allow the other geese to fly easier. The lead goose changes to give all the geese a break at some point or another. They fly a much larger distance together, than they do alone. I mean that right there... shouldn't that tell us something? Its hard to do stuff on our own! When you hear them honking, they are cheering the lead goose on, telling him what a great job he or she is doing. We need help, from "geese" that love us. She also told us that if one goose gets hurt, two geese will stay behind with it. They stay until the goose gets better, or until it dies. Whichever is the case, they can then return to another group...no problem. They will never leave one goose alone to face distress alone. 
One thing I found out on my own...geese are monogamous. They mate for life! I love that. I love that they participate in team work in their families and they stick with one partner forever.
So, church was helpful today. It reminded me that I can't do it alone, its ok to have help.
The first line of this post was on a college marquee on my way to church. It couldn't have been more fitting for me in that moment. I feel encouraged now that everything will work out, not because we sit back and watch it happen...but because we create a plan and make it happen. 


photo source: here


No comments:

Post a Comment